If you need to make any adjustments to your Georgia state return or if the changes in your federal return affected your state return, you may need to file an amended return. You should file a Georgia amendment within 3 years from the original tax return, or within 2 years from the time when tax was paid, whichever date is later.
Fill out the GA amendment section (form 500X) on Credit Karma Tax
You will need to print out and mail it to the Georgia Department of Revenue:
Georgia Department of Revenue
P.O. Box 740318
Atlanta, Georgia 30374-0318
The state of Georgia has the following penalties and interest fees:
- Late filing Penalty - 5% per month (but will not exceed a total of 25% of the tax due).
- Late Payment Penalty - 0.5% per month (but will not exceed a total of 25% of the tax due).
- Frivolous Return Penalty - $1,000. (A frivolous return is one that contains incorrect or insufficient information to accurately compute the appropriate tax liability with the intent to delay or impede Georgia tax law or is based on a frivolous position.)
- Negligent Underpayment Penalty - 5% of the underpaid amount.
- Fraudulent Underpayment Penalty - 50% of the underpaid amount.
- Failure to File Estimated Tax Penalty - 9%per year for the period of underpayment.
- The interest is 1% per month and is accrued from the due date until the tax is paid in full. Please note that filing a tax extension or an installment payment plan doesn't exclude the taxpayer from interest or a late payment penalty.
You can call Georgia Department of Revenue at 1-877-423-6711 (press Option #2 to track your return)